Week 6: Scope of Practice and Patient’s Healthcare Accessibility
The purpose of this assignment is to identify the scope of practice in one’s state including level of independence of practice, prescribing authority, any limitations of practice, process for obtaining licensure in your state, certification and education requirements for licensure. Next, students will discuss how the level of independence of practice in their state, i.e., reduced, restricted or full practice, affects patient’s access to care in their local community.
Activity Learning Outcomes for NR599 Policy: Week 6: Scope of Practice and Patient’s Healthcare Accessibility
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Understand NP practice as defined by law (CO2)
- Determine legislation as defined by legislation, statutes and regulations (CO2)
- Identify barriers to ensuring patient’s rights (CO3)
Due Date: Wednesday by 11:59pm MST of Week 6
Initial responses to the discussion topic must be posted by Wednesday 11:59pm MT. Two additional posts to peers and/or faculty are due by Sunday at 11:59pm MT. Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due.
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for discussions posted after the deadline on Wednesday of week 6, regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0).
Total Points Possible: 100
Requirements NR599 Policy: Week 6: Scope of Practice and Patient’s Healthcare Accessibility:
- Discuss your state NP community in terms of scope of practice. Include the your state’s scope of practice for NPs including:
- Level of independence of practice **In California, NPs are required to practice under Standardized Procedure Guidelines. If CA is your intended practice state, please provide details on how Standardized Procedures Guidelines are developed in California and an example of a California SPG.
- Prescribing authority
- Any limitations of practice
- Process for obtaining licensure in your state
- Certification and education requirements for licensure.
- If you live in a restricted or reduced practice state, how has patient care been impacted in your local community from these barriers? For instance, is the ED used for primary care? Are the EDs overcrowded with long wait times? Are there urgent care clinics readily available? Is there adequate access to primary care? If you live in a full practice, how has independent practice of the APN resulted in improved patient access to healthcare?
- How does access to NPs impacts any healthcare disparities?
- A scholarly resource must be used for EACH discussion question each week.
|Scope of practice and NP requirements||30||30%||Provides relevant evidence of scholarly inquiry of their state’s NP scope of practice. Uses valid, relevant, and reliable outside sources to contribute to the threaded discussion.|
|Practice barriers and access to healthcare||30||30%||Provides relevant evidence of scholarly inquiry of whether their state is a reduced, restricted or full practice state and the impact on the local community with respect to healthcare access. Uses valid, relevant, and reliable outside sources to contribute to the threaded discussion.|
|Healthcare disparities||15||15%||Provides relevant evidence of scholarly inquiry of how access to NPs impacts healthcare disparities. Uses valid, relevant, and reliable outside sources to contribute to the threaded discussion.|
|75||75%||Total CONTENT Points= 75 pts|
|Interactive Dialogue||20||20%||4 Required Elements: Responds a minimum of two other posts to peers and/or faculty in the threaded discussion; Responses to peer/faculty are substantive (adds importance, depth, and meaningfulness to the discussion) Responds to all direct questions from faculty (if no question asked directly, student responded to questions posed to the entire class) Summarizes what was learned from the lesson, readings, and other student posts for the week. The summary could be included in one of the three minimum posts.|
|Grammar, Syntax, Spelling, & Punctuation||5||5%||Grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation are accurate.|
|25||25%||Total FORMAT Points=25 pts|
|DISCUSSION TOTAL=100 points|